The common cold is an infection of the upper respiratory tract caused by the virus. It mainly affects the nose and throat. Children and infants are at the highest risk of affecting the common cold, but healthy adults can also occasionally be affected by a cold. It is a communicable disease.
- It is mainly caused by many types of viruses but Rhinovirus is the most common cause of the common cold.
- These viruses can spread through air droplets when an affected person coughs, sneezes or interacts with someone and enters the body through the mouth, eyes or nose.
- It affects young children and infants more because their immune system is immature and their body is at greater risk of being affected by a viral infection.
The common cold will heal in a few days such as a week or 10 days. They become last longer in people who smoke regularly. But it is important to see a doctor when the symptoms are not cured.
The common symptoms of the common cold are the following:
- Stuffy and runny nose
- Sore throat
- Cough and Congestion
- Body aches
- Mild headache
- Mild fever
In children also it is considered as a no need to see the doctor but the following are the symptoms if occurs in the children, then medical attention is needed.
- High fever in children of any age for more than two days
- Fever up to 100.4 F in newborns (up to 12 weeks)
- Headache or cough
- Whistling sound on breathing
- Loss of appetite
- Excessive fussiness
- Abnormal drowsiness
Natural remedies to treat Common cold in children
Natural treatment is the best treatment for the management and treatment of any disease because it is simple, effective and has no side effects. If you want to get rid of the common cold in your children then adopt home and herbal remedies. Some of the home remedies and best herbal remedies given by Planet Ayurveda are given below.
Home remedies to treat Common cold
There are various home remedies that help prevent and treat a common cold naturally in children.
- Take a rest: This will help the body to focus on energy to recover as quickly as possible. Therefore, give your children a warm and well-rested.
- Fluid intake: Drink fluids and reduce fluid loss from the body during fever, vomiting, and diarrhea and will also help loosen mucus.
- Use a humidifier: You should keep the air moist in your child’s room using a humidifier. This will help reduce congestion of the nose and chest.
- Use some effective herbs that you can easily find in your kitchen. Some of them are the following
It possesses antiseptic, antibiotic, anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties. It helps to effectively treat headaches, nasal blockages and other symptoms associated with the common cold.
How to use
- Take half a teaspoon.
- Mix in turmeric powder and 1 teaspoon honey.
- Take it twice daily.
It possesses many medicinal properties and considered an effective home remedy for a common cold. It helps to relieve sore throat, headache, and aches
How to use
- Put some garlic buds in mustard oil and heat it for a while.
- After this becomes lukewarm, massage the chest and nose gently with oil.
It is also known as holy basil. It is also a very effective home remedy for fever and cold.
How to use
- Boil 4 to 5 fresh leaves of basil in water.
- Strain and drink. You may also drink Tulsi tea.
It is also effective in common cold.
How to use
- Put ginger pieces in water and boil for some time.
- Add some sugar and mix. Strain and drink this decoction by sipping.
- You can also take ginger tea.
Herbal remedies to treat Common cold by Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda gives amazing herbal remedies for children to treat the common cold. It includes Aller-G Care, Kaas-Har Churna, and Curcumin Capsules which are considered as the best herbal remedies for the common cold. These herbal remedies do not contain any chemicals, preservatives and do not produce any side effects.
The description of these herbal remedies are the following:
This herbal combination is formed by using many herbs that Pippali (Piper longum), Vanshlochan (Bambusa Arundinaria), are Mishri (Crystallized Sugar Lumps), Ela (Elettaria cardamomum), and Dalchini (Cinnamomum zeylanica). These marvelous natural herbs that help to treat the common cold.
Dalchini: It is helpful in fighting the microbes present in the respiratory tract. It also relieves problems related to breath such as difficulty in breathing, cough, and colds
Mishri: It works as a natural sweetener in this formulation and also keeps the throat wet and eliminates cough.
Vanshlochan: It helps to cleanse the respiratory system. It does not allow the throat to dry out and helps to relieve itching and sore throat.
Pippali: It helps in removing mucus and increases the circulation of blood in the body.
Ela: It helps relieve influenza and sore throat.
Dosage: ½ – 1 teaspoon with plain water.
These Aller-G Care capsules are prepared by adding various effective herbs such as Haridra (Curcuma longa), Shirish (Albizia lebbeck), Neem (Azadirachta indica), and Ashwagandha (Withania Somnifera). These herbs are useful in the treatment of common cold in children.
Haridra: This herb helps to eliminate radicals out of the body.
Ashwagandha: It helps in reducing stress and fatigue.
Neem: It acts as an antioxidant, antimicrobial, and anti-inflammatory agent. It helps to eliminate toxins out of the body.
Shirish: It also helps in eliminating toxins and metabolites out of the body which is collected due to fat, carbohydrates and proteins.
Dosage: 1 capsule daily after meal with milk
These capsules are formulated by adding Haridra Extract (Curcuma longa). Curcumin is a natural source of antioxidants and it also possesses anti-inflammatory properties. It increases the strength of the immune system and helps to combat certain kinds of viruses and bacteria and helps to treat common cold in children.
Dosage: 1 capsule twice daily with plain water after meals