Cholesterol is a type of fatty substance that the liver produces. It plays an essential role in the development of cell walls, the formation of hormones and protecting the nervous systems. It combines with protein to produce lipoprotein, which helps to prevent fat from dissolving in the blood.
There are two types of cholesterol in our body
- HDL (high-density lipoprotein)
- LDL (low-density lipoprotein)
It is good cholesterol which is very light and it takes away the fat stored in blood vessels.
It is bad cholesterol which is more viscous and thicker. If it is high, then it accumulates on the walls of blood vessels and artery, which prevents the flow of blood. The increase LDL or bad cholesterol can create many problems such as heart attack, chest pain, stroke, and high blood pressure. A blood test called a lipid profile is done to check the cholesterol level. Total cholesterol in the body of a healthy person should be less than 200 mg/dl, HDL more than 60 mg/dl and LDL should be less than 100 mg/dl.
This increase in bad cholesterol can be due to poor diet, obesity, diabetes, smoking, and lack of physical activities. Age is also a risk factor of high cholesterol levels. Increasing cholesterol can be controlled by natural remedies and the following are some effective remedies that are effective and easy to follow.
Home Remedies to Reduce High Cholesterol Level Naturally
1. Olive Oil
The monounsaturated fat present in it helps in maintaining cholesterol levels. This helps to make the walls of the artery strong. This decreases the risk of heart disease. It also regulates high blood pressure and sugar levels. If you eat food cooked in olive oil continuously for at least six weeks, it can reduce cholesterol levels by approximately 8 percent.
Red onion helps in lowering cholesterol levels. It raises good cholesterol by decreasing bad cholesterol. Drinking onion juice by adding honey is beneficial. You can also consume onion by chopping an onion in a cup of buttermilk. Add salt and pepper and drink it. You can include an onion in your meal also.
Take one teaspoon of Amla powder in a glass of lukewarm water. Drinking Amla juice on an empty stomach in the morning can help to reduce the cholesterol level. For better results drink it daily.
The enzymes present in garlic helps to reduce LDL cholesterol in your body. Regular intake can reduce LDL cholesterol levels by approximately 9 to 15 percent. Apart from this, it also controls high blood pressure. Eating two garlic cloves per day is beneficial for health.
The Beta-glucans present in oats cleans our intestines and relieves constipation. Because of this, bad cholesterol does not get absorbed in the body which is good for our body. Regular intake of oats at least for three months can reduce cholesterol levels by approximately up to 5 percent.
6. Flax seeds
Flax seeds are very helpful in reducing cholesterol. It is better that you consume ground seeds instead of whole seeds.
7. Orange Juice
Oranges are a rich source of vitamin C which makes it very helpful in reducing bad cholesterol. By drinking 2-3 glasses of orange juice daily you can quickly control the Cholesterol level in your body.
8. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil reduces body fat, which does not increase cholesterol. The long-chain saturated fat present in coconut boosts the HDL or good cholesterol in your body and reduces bad cholesterol. Be sure to include natural coconut oil in the diet.
9. Green Tea
Green tea is a rich source of antioxidants that keep your weight and cholesterol level in control. Green tea has significantly less caffeine than coffee. Also, anti-oxidants that keep the body fit and healthy. Drinking green-tea daily increases the resistance of the body, which makes it easier to reduce bad cholesterol.
Lemons and other citrus fruits contain some soluble fiber that prevents bad cholesterol from entering the bloodstream. Vitamin C present in citrus fruits cleanses the blood vessels and flush out the bad cholesterol from the body through the digestive system. It improves metabolism which again helps to reduce high cholesterol levels in the body.
11. Soybeans and Pulses
Soybeans, pulses and sprouted grains help the liver to eliminate the LDL cholesterol present in the blood. These also help in increasing good cholesterol.
12. Vegetables and Fruits
Cholesterol remains under control by consuming all kinds of seasonal vegetables and fruits. Beta-carotene and Vitamin C are very helpful in supporting good cholesterol in our body. Excessive consumption of especially yellow fruits and green vegetables keeps cholesterol under control.
13. Omega-3 Fatty Acid Food
Omega-3 fatty acids rich food like fish oil is a nutritional powerhouse that decreases inflammation and clotting, and triglycerides also increase the HDL cholesterol level in the body.
14. Dry Fruits
The fiber found in almonds, peanuts, pistachios, and walnuts is helpful in decreasing bad cholesterol and raising good cholesterol. The fiber in them makes the stomach feel full longer. This prevents a person from consuming harmful fatty snacks.
- Peanut: Cholesterol can be reduced by eating 50 grams of peanuts daily.
- Walnuts: Intake of 2-3 walnuts regularly in the morning helps to control cholesterol levels.
- Almonds: Eating 4-5 almonds daily also reduces cholesterol. It is better to soak almonds in the evening and consume them in the morning.
- Pistachio: Eating pistachio daily also reduces cholesterol.
Healthy Diet Tips to Reduce Bad Cholesterol and Increasing Good Cholesterol Levels
- Use more fibrous foods.
- Eat plenty of fruits, especially oranges and other citrus fruits.
- Vegetables that are fibrous dissolving like brinjal, okra, turnip, and sweet potato, etc.
- Eating a handful of dry fruits daily reduces cholesterol levels by at least 5% on average.
- Include whole grains in your diet.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Avoid the consumption of caffeine.
- Avoid alcohol
Herbs to Reduce Cholesterol Level Naturally
The use of herbs is also a natural way to reduce high cholesterol levels in the body. These herbs effectively show their positive results on the body without any side effects. Along with managing the condition, they also provide overall health of the body.
- Arjun: It is the most effective herb for the cardiovascular system and known as a heart tonic. It helps to lower the blood pressure and high cholesterol levels in the body.
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon has a blood Lipid-lowering property. Cinnamaldehyde a potential constituent present in cinnamon, which is identified to help in the reduction of high cholesterol levels
- Cayenne: This herb helps in the excretion of triglyceride and cholesterol and triglycerides through fecal, so it also helps in this condition.
- Ashwagandha: This herb decreases high cholesterol and triglyceride levels and improves heart health. It also has anti-inflammatory effects.
- Brahmi: It possesses antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It also helps to lower the high blood pressure in the body.
- Ginger: It possesses both hypolipidaemic and Anti-diabetic thus helpful in lowering high cholesterol levels.
- Garlic: The intake of garlic lowers the LDL Cholesterol level thus prevent cardiovascular diseases.
- Papaya: It also helps to lower the LDL cholesterol level and raise the HDL (high-density lipoprotein) level in the body.
- Turkish Rhubarb: It is very effective in the treatment of hypercholesterolemia i.e. High Cholesterol level. It helps by increasing the expression of Cholesterol-lowering enzymes.
- Dandelion: The root and leaf part show positive effects in this condition. It possesses potent antioxidant and hypolipidaemic properties.
- Aloe Vera: This herb is very useful to lower blood glucose in diabetes. It also helps to reduce the level of blood lipid in the patients having hyperlipidemia.
Yoga Asana and Exercises to Reduce High Cholesterol Level
To reduce high cholesterol levels or managing cholesterol level it is also important to follow a healthier lifestyle. Some light exercises and Yoga helps to control cholesterol naturally without causing any side effects. So the following are some exercises and yoga for reducing cholesterol levels.
Some Yoga Asana are the following
- Kapalbhati Pranayam: This yoga includes the use of strong breathing which helps to keep balance the scatter toxins to improve the metabolic rate and reduce the high cholesterol level.
- Chakrasana: This pose helps to improve liver functioning thus, helps to get relief from accumulated fat and high level of cholesterol.
- Shalabhasana: This pose helps to stimulate the abdominal organs and improve digestion.
- Sarvangasana: This yoga pose is beneficial to maintain physical and mental health and also considered as ‘Queen of asanas.
- Paschimottanasana: This pose helps to stimulate the liver and kidneys and also eliminates the excess accumulated fat from the abdominal area.
- Ardha Matsyendrasana: This yoga asana helps to stimulate the liver and thus manage the cholesterol level in the blood.
The following are some exercises that are simple but effectively reduce high cholesterol levels.
1. Do Walking
Walking is the easiest exercise to reduce cholesterol in the body. After eating, you walk and walk for a while. Walking fast can help you reduce the problem of cholesterol. People who walk at high speeds burn their calories like a runner. Walking exercise helps reduce the risk of both high cholesterol and high blood pressure.
2. Do Swimming
Swimming is an aerobic exercise, which is beneficial in lowering cholesterol. Swimming helped to improve body weight, reduce body fat, and recover LDL cholesterol levels. Now, during the summer, do swimming every day to keep yourself cool and keep cholesterol level down.
3. Do Cycling
Cycling kills the body’s energy just like jogging. But jogging often causes joint pain, but it does not happen when cycling. Cycling exercise is beneficial in lowering cholesterol. People who are physically active, are less likely to have high cholesterol. The risk of heart disease is also reduced by cycling. Regular cycling also reduces heart attack.
Complete information has led to the conclusion that high cholesterol levels can lead to many complications that specifically directly affect our heart. It should be under control. Our diet and lifestyle is the major cause of high cholesterol or LDL level in our body. We must improve our diet and lifestyle and incorporate a healthy diet, yoga exercise into our lives to maintain cholesterol levels. The above are some effective and easy natural remedies for this condition including home remedies, herbs, and a healthy lifestyle. Herbs are also effective because they do not produce any side effects. Follow these natural remedies to maintain a healthy cholesterol level.twitter volgers kopen