Acid reflux is one of the common problems faced by people which is commonly known as heartburn. The main signs seen in acid reflux are hiccups, heartburn, and sometimes metallic taste in the mouth. Anyone can suffer from acid reflux and if someone is suffering from it on the regular basis then there is a need for medical attention. It can be triggered due to some dietary changes or people who carry excess weight. In this article, we will put a limelight onsome Ayurvedic home remedies that can help in managing the symptoms of Acid reflux and calming the digestive system.
In Ayurveda, Agni is one of the main sources of life and it is one of the gatekeepers for good health. The metabolic functions are also dependent on the Agni and whatever we eat directly affects the Agni. If the digestive fire of the body is not balanced then it can result in the weakening of the digestive tract and its function.
According to Ayurveda, food like processed meat, oily food, or cold foods can result in the formation of toxins also known as ‘Ama’. So, health goals will result in balanced metabolic fire. Here are some Ayurvedic tips for Acid reflux depending on the symptoms
Home Remedies for Acid Reflux
1. Mint Decoction
Mint leaves are one of the great appetizers and it is very effective in promoting the digestive system. They are packed with antioxidants, antibacterial as well as antiseptic properties which are very effective in reducing indigestion. The methanol present in it contains antispasmodic property which is very beneficial for burning sensation. Including this in the diet will eventually help in making the digestive tract better.
- Take 4 to 5 dried mint leaves.
- Add 2 cups of water into it and boil it on a medium flame.
- Always use a non-reactive metal.
- Always crush the leaves before boiling them into the water.
- Boil it for 10 to 15 minutes until the water has boiled to one cup.
- Cool and strain the water.
2. Fennel Decoction
In India, it is popularly known as saunf and one of the commonly used herbs in the kitchen. Fennel seeds taste similar to licorice and contain anti-inflammatory as well antimicrobial properties. It helps in calming the lining of the stomach and reducing acidity. By smoothing the digestive muscles it will gradually reduce symptoms like bloating, gas, and abdominal cramps.
- Take one tablespoon of fennel seeds.
- One glass of water and add fennel seeds into it.
- Soak it overnight.
- Then boil the same water on a medium flame for 10 minutes.
- Cool and strain the water.
3. Ghee, Turmeric, and Lukewarm Mixture.
Consuming ghee, turmeric and the lukewarm mixture will help in lubricating the intestine. Turmeric is very beneficial in removing bacteria from the system and due to its anti-inflammatory property, it is very beneficial for indigestion. Turmeric is a very commonly used herb both in Ayurvedic as well as Chinese medicine. Along with that, this mixture will help in improving digestion and treating problems like inflammation, heartburn, and also stomach ulcers.
- Take one cup of lukewarm water.
- Add 1 teaspoon of ghee along with half a teaspoon of turmeric.
- Stir it well.
- Drink it slowly one hour after dinner.
4. Kushmand Juice
It is commonly known as Ash gourd and is a type of fruit mainly grown in the winter season. It is very effective in increasing the strength of the body and calming the mind as well. It is one of the best Ayurvedic herbs which is well known for balancing the Vata as well as Pitta Dosha. It helps in improving the metabolism of the body and also nourishes the stomach. It is very effective in increasing digestion as well as reducing constipation.
- Take one ash gourd and peel it carefully.
- Remove the seed from it.
- Cut the fruit into pieces
- Take the Kushmand and blend it in the food processor.
- Once the juice is ready add a pinch of salt.
- Here is your calming juice ready to drink.
4. Dry Ginger Powder and Mint Mixture
Dry Ginger also known as Shunthi is one of the popular herbs used in Ayurveda and has many beneficial effects on the stomach. It is very effective in pacifying the Kapha and VataDosha of the body. Mint has analgesic properties and both of them are very effective in improving digestion. Both of them are very effective in enhancing digestive power and maintaining overall health.
- Take one teaspoon of Ginger powder.
- Take some mint leaves.
- Boil it in two cups of water.
- When it is reduced to half just drink it slowly.
Some Healthy Tips for Reducing Acid Reflux
- Avoid taking any kind of spicy foods like pizza, burger, samosa, etc.
- Taking an excessive amount of tea or coffee will only increase the symptoms.
- Avoid eating late at night.
- Drink an adequate amount of water on a regular basis.
- A sufficient amount of sleep is very important.
- Drink coconut water as much as you can drink.
- Include fruits like dry grapes, pomegranate, or gooseberry.
- Perform Yoga, meditation, or Pranayam on the regular basis.
- Avoid stress and taking alcohol or smoking.
Nowadays Acid Reflux is a very normal problem that is faced by everyone due to a sedentary lifestyle. There are some easy and natural ways to treat it that is through Ayurvedic herbs. Above mentioned herbal home remedies will help in calming the complaints without causing any side effects.